MSDS for Magnets and Magnetic Materials
Magnets are typically not hazardous to the human body, nor have DC magnetic fields such as those produced by permanent magnets been known to be harmful in any way.
However, grinding dust, chips, magnet powder, grinding swarf from magnetic compounds may have some negative impacts. Adequate ventilation MUST be used when grinding magnets. Grinding swarf must be disposed of in a manner that is compliant with state, local and federal laws. Disposal of permanent magnets and magnetized materials must be done so as to comply with current laws.
You are cautioned that ALL permanent magnets are brittle, and generally when allowed to impact each other or with steel or iron they are likely to chip. The fragments produced in this manner can be quite hazardous. Chips can get in the eyes if proper protection is not being worn. Larger magnets can attract each other with considerable force. If magnets are not handled correctly, and/or without proper protection, severe injury is possible. Larger rare-earth magnets can break, pinch or damage fingers quite easily. Children or inexperienced or untrained personnel should not be permitted to handle them. The larger the assembly/magnet system, the more hazardous it can be. Do not try to assemble magnets at your facility if the personnel are not adequately trained! Leave this task for us. Our personnel are adequately trained, supervised, and receive continuous training in handling magnets.
Note that magnetic media and credit cards will be damaged by proximity to strong magnets. There may also be dangers to the operation of certain cardiac pacemakers. Personnel with cardiac pacemakers should not handle magnets.
For transport of magnets or magnetic material by air, the IATA regulations for magnetic materials must be adhered to.
OUR CONSULTANTS WILL PROVIDE KNOWLEDGE AND SENSIBLE ANSWERS.
PLEASE PHONE: +61(2) 9971 7577 FOR MAGNET SALES OR EMAIL US.